Project TikGirl

This is not a New Year's resolution.

Breathe in, breathe out

By 11:43:00 PM ,

I never paid too much attention on how I breathe whenever I am running. It was just as simple as breathing in and breathing out, just as I would do every second, every minute of my day. But my good 'ol friend Joy pointed it out to me this afternoon. I gave her the privilege of running with Project Tikgirl. Chos.


So, how should I do it? Here are reminders from Runner's World:

Open your mouth.
Your mouth is larger than your nostrils, so it's more effective at taking in oxygen. Also, keeping your mouth open keeps your face more relaxed, which makes it easier to breathe deeply.

(I take deep breaths through my nostrils. The moment I open my mouth, either to talk or to breathe, I'm afraid that I would only end up gasping for air.)

Breathe in Patterns
Coordinating your inhales and exhales with your footfalls develops diaphragmatic strength. Start with a 2-2 pattern-breathe in while stepping left, right; breathe out while stepping left, right. Advance to 3-3 (breathe in, step left, right, left; breathe out, step right, left, right), and then a 4-4 pattern.

(I have yet to try this.)

Breath Enhancers
Cross-training exercises that reduce huffing and puffing

These three Pilates moves strengthen the diaphragm, stretch tight muscles, and improve posture-all of which help you run longer with less effort. Practice each exercise two or three times a week before you run.

(This one too.)

As a general rule, Runner's World suggested that we take deep and full breaths to maximize our strength. A strong lungs can help us achieve our goal, whether to run faster or longer or even both. 

You Might Also Like

0 (mga) komento