Project TikGirl

This is not a New Year's resolution.

No more instant noodles for me

By 9:10:00 PM ,

It was such a lazy Sunday and I wasn't in the mood to cook or prepare food. But I was hungry and I knew I needed to grab something to eat before it's too late. (I have gastritis, you see.)

So the lazy poke in me decided to eat my beef-flavored Nissin cup noodles, which I have been storing in my cupboard for more than two months now. It was given by a friend but I didn't eat it until now. I was hoping I could keep my promise of keeping away from "instant" food -- from canned goods to cup noodles -- which I proudly did for nearly half a year.

I had to learn the hard way that
eating instant noodles is evil.

Well, you probably know by now that I broke that promise, gave into temptation and, now, I am very sorry that I ever did.

I am not feeling well.

I felt dizzy and nauseous minutes after emptying my cup noodles. I am very sure of course that my Nissin was not yet expired when I ate it. It was only when I ate chocolate that I felt better -- don't know if that could be explained scientifically or merely a psychological effect as I call it.

I am feeling better now -- but not yet that well. Enough though to Google what have caused this headache. I found an old CNN report about a study of the Australian Consumers' Association about instant noodles, which states that cup noodles have "as much fat in a single serving of two-minute noodles as there is in a cup of French-fried potato chips or a quarter of a medium-sized pizza."

The same report states that these cup noodles contain "nearly 75 percent of the recommended upper limit of salt for adults and 100 percent of that for young children" while its sodium levels are somewhere between 1,000 to 2,000 mg per serving.

No wonder I was dizzy.

What is equally appalling is that they didn't bother putting all these evilness in the cup noodles' packaging. I may have probably known that instant noodles is bad for my health for years but there are things people forget and they needed to be reminded the hard way.

Such research reported by CNN that warns people of the health hazards brought about by instant food is not the first of its kind. Google tells you there are more. But I wonder how many people are informed about it.

"In the case of instant noodles, we're not just talking about fat, we're also talking about bad fat," pediatrician Tim Trodd told CNN.com. "These noodles use cheap vegetable oil that breaks down as trans fatty acids."

"What you're looking at is essentially a meal with no protein, a lot of fat, carbohydrates, chemicals and salt," Trodd added.

How many mothers know about this? Surely this is something that is not frequently reported or campaigned by the dominant media since most of their advertisers are into this business.

Sad.

Task completed.

You Might Also Like

0 (mga) komento